Monday, October 20, 2014

Activism, Social Media, and…
Why Are We Here?



Demonstrators protest the disappearance of 43 students from the Isidro Burgos rural teachers college in Acapulco, Guerrero state, Mexico, Friday, Oct. 17, 2014. Investigators determined that 28 sets of human remains recovered from a mass grave discovered last weekend outside Iguala, in Guerrero state, were not those of any of the youths who haven't been seen since being confronted by police in that city Sept. 26. (AP Photo/Eduardo Verdugo) ORG XMIT: MXEV105 (Eduardo Verdugo)


I was born in 1948.  At three years old, there was no dialer on our new phone… just tell the operator who you want to call.

Talking, learning, sharing… faster and faster.  Communication devices change us. 

November 22, 1963, I was driving 70 mph in a school zone in our new, red Oldsmobile Cutlass, just outside of Dallas.  Dad said, “Judy, pull over,” after we just heard on the radio about Kennedy being shot.  The last assassination I knew of was Lincoln.

In 1964 my activist brothers refused to support the Vietnam War and marched against it.  No cell phones, FB or Twitter; just newspapers. 

Yes.  Technology changes when, where, what, and how fast we get information.  And our ever-expanding technologies in social media let us get active so much quicker and in so many new ways.

‘Why am I here’ is exponentially increased to ‘why are we here’ because of our social media today.  To know what everyone else is doing can change my point of view, my mood, my decisions, my beliefs, and my actions.   Now, faster than ever before.

This author disagrees with Malcolm Gladwell’s column in the New Yorker  (Small Change: Why the revolution will not be tweeted) when Malcolm says that social media in not redefining activism.  Professor Rutledge gives four good reasons why social media is redefining activism and advocacy:

         ~   Public awareness is changed by social media because it spreads freely and fast changing public policy.
         ~  Information is frequently obtained from our friends on FB, Twitter, etc., giving us word-of-mouth validation.
         ~  Social media technologies cross over networks and give immediate impact showing urgency, and can raise donations quickly.
         ~  Social media technologies let us act fast about large and small issues and feel involved.

Pamela Rutledge, Ph.D., M.B.A., is Director of the Media Psychology Research Center and teaches media psychology at Fielding Graduate University and UCLA Extension.  Read her article here:


I talked a lot about activism in my previous Green Blog…  so I’ll take this to a more personal level here, and talk about my cell phone.  Because all it takes is a cell phone now to be socially active and affect the very meaning of your life.  Everyone I know has a smart phone but me and it often appears their cell IS the meaning of their lives.

So here is my little LG TracFone in front of a sepia toned self portrait of my shadow I shot in 1974….   against a huge Morton Bay fig tree in San Diego.  Then I squeezed it into my cell, don’t even remember how; couldn’t do it again.



What is it going to feel like when I bite the bullet and get a smart phone?  Yes.  I’m scared.  Because this is an even bigger jump for me than Rabi Tzvi Freeman who writes about upgrading to a smarter smart phone:

“And once it’s in the Cloud, it’s so much easier to share with others. On our devices, each of us is in our own world. We communicate, we interact, but the devices—they divide us. But there, in the Cloud, it’s all one. So easy to create that synergy that comes through sharing.
Looking into his eyes, I saw he was confident and earnest. I trusted him. I had to move on in life."

Freeman’s upgrade story tugs at my heart and funny bone ~!~   So relieved to find another human is attached to their old cell like I am mine.  Check it out.


I tell myself I’ve got an iPad, a macbook pro 15” screen with disc drive, a huge mac desktop… I don’t need to go online every second.

Yet, I think about Cairo.  I think about photojournalism and the gazillions of photos I take.   Could I make a difference?   You bet. 




How hard can it be?

~   ~  ~  ~  ~  ~





No comments:

Post a Comment